What a month! Using up the last of my holidays, I have managed to spend a few Fridays and Mondays as well as the weekends on the Jeep. Mark helped by cleaning and checking the dials, switches and installing the air tube.
I recruited George, Dave and brother Graham to help lift the body into place. Not as easy as I thought it would be, but after a couple of attempts, removing the gear stick, adjusting the clutch and brakes, slackening the steering column and using a small crow bar, it was finally in place. Because the body has had a new floor, it did take quite a while to get the body into the best place for all the rest of the parts to fit. I temporarily fitted the wings, grill and bonnet to see how it all looked. The bonnet sits over the grill by about ¾ to an inch, which I am told is right.
The big day was the 30th of March when Graham helped get the engine started. As mentioned before, the engine has been tight from its rebuild and, despite George assisting with another round of towing, it remained tight. Using a solid tow bar, Graham towed me around a local residential road with the spark plugs out to loosen up the engine. After a mile or so of being towed around a quite road sounding like a steam train, we got back home. During the tow, the oil pressure was reading a constant 40 pounds. The engine easily turned using the handle, so I put the plugs in and again it turned over. I connected the battery and dabbed it onto the starter motor and it spun over. Using a petrol can zip tied to the wing, we pumped up petrol into the carb and turned the engine over. We then connected a small feed to the coil and distributor and then tried to start her up. It spat a couple of times, so we dropped a bit of petrol into the top of the carb and away she went. We ran it up a few seconds for a couple of times – as can be seen on the video below.